Tuesday 24 February 2009


I have dragged myself into the blogosphere, screaming and shouting. Do I really want to write a blog - will anyone read it? I hope at least one or two avid gardeners will pass a glance at my ranting and ravings. Seeing that I seem to spend so much time at my computer, rather than in the garden (especially this winter) I may as well write a little more! For those who have never heard of me, or my garden, it is approximately one acre in size, on a south facing slope in Norwich, Norfolk, in East Anglia – that is the bit that sticks out on the east coast of England. My speciality is growing exotic plants in supposedly chilly Norfolk.
The garden definitely has its own micro-climate as it is surrounded by tall trees and shrubs on the North, East and West sides, thus protecting the garden from most of the prevailing westerly’s and frigid easterly’s when they appear. When the weather is cold, I like to sit in my rather large tree house, way up in an old Oak tree which overlooks the garden and across the valley to the south.
I have been growing the root hardy banana Musa basjoo for twenty two years without a loss, and the clumps are now rather big, with ten or more beefy trunks in each group. Four years ago, I decided to throw caution to the wind and stopped wrapping them - a huge task involving wooden builder’s pallets and dozens of straw bales. Then what happens? We have a really cold winter. I cut through one of the smaller stems that had rotted down a couple of feet to find a green centre, so, theoretically, the large trunks should be fine, though I will not find out until April, when hopefully they should start to come back to life as the weather gets warmer. Late winteMy beautiful gingers on the other hand – I’m not so sure about. I cautiously stuck a finger into some Hedychium gardnerianum tubers up to the first knuckle – hmmm...
I also have a xerophytic garden (plants that dislike water) where unfortunately several succulents and some Agaves have turned to pulp, though many of the larger ones seem to be fine, again time will tell which have really survived such a long, damp, winter. I was really disappointed that unlike the rest of the British Isles, we had at the most one centimetre of snow for half a day.Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to get back out into the garden, when it is not quite so soggy – I will know it is time when my six cats decide to un-glue themselves from the radiators in my house!

10 comments:

  1. Hurray, I can comment now! Welcome to the blogosphere, Will. You do realise, don't you, that you will have to do a post explaining who all your cats are. It's obligatory, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will read and comment! Welcome to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Will
    Blogging is the best form of near pointless procrastination ever invented, enjoy.
    You have really torn it now: blogging about cats will get you into all sorts of unsavoury internet alleyways !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're Will Giles, one of the most prominent exotic plant lovers of the land!!! I'm betting there'll be lots of readers, and I myself am also really looking forward to reading your blog! Great to see you've joined the blogosphere - I only joined myself a few weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it! I, too, spend a lot of time on the computer researching and procrastinating on tropical plants and what I'd like to do in the garden, but hopefully this year I'd like to be more motivated and get out there and actually do it!

    Not sure about my Basjoo's here, they weren't very big but I did wrap them, but as you said, we can't really see until the warm[ish] weather arrives. This is also the first Winter I've left my gingers outside, and I'm also very concerned about those!!! They grew so well in Summer, and I did give them a mulch over Winter, but only time will tell. Fingers crossed!

    Take care, speak to you soon!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to find you on line - although I've headed west from my home town of Norwich I'm fascinated by you growing tropicals there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. which cat is in the photo? welcome to bloogersland. am esp. interested in hearing how your gardening works climate change into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cat sitting on my doorstep in Genghis Jonjj – having never written the later I have written it as it sounds. He is a Devon Rex. His brother is Lawrence or Lorington as he has become known. All my cats have countless names according to the mood I’m in...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see that you're blogging! I love your books and look forward to enjoying more of your exotic garden know-how here.

    P.S. You might consider including a link to your blog on your main site, www.exoticgarden.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for you comments Kim. I do have a link to this blog on the about the garden page here: http://www.exoticgarden.com/the_garden.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message about this post