Friday 27 February 2009




Today, it is a pleasant, almost balmy 14C, with a milky late winter sun. What a pleasure it is to work in the garden after such a desperately long and dreary winter. Many of the more tender perennials are covered with the leaves and old stems from the plants themselves, left, in not so attractive piles over the crowns, which, have hopefully been protecting the roots and young shoots from the dreaded permafrost that set in a few weeks ago. I have not dared to look underneath to see if they are still alive. The urge to remove all the garden detritus is overpowering - I must resist this for a few more weeks yet. I have to repeat to myself, ‘it is still only February', though in my mind I am at least a month ahead of this.


When the weather has been freezing, I have spent many a pleasurable day in one of my poly tunnels; at least it feels like spring in there! The seed pods on one of my favourite gingers Hedychium wardii (pictured above) have been a joy to behold through the dark days of winter as the seed pods have slowly split open to reveal such lusciously beautiful fruits. These, have now been removed and the soft red flesh washed off to reveal the plump, glossy seeds within. Some fifty or so have now been planted in a half pan tray and are nestling inside a warm propagator, alongside countless Coleus and Tradesacantia cuttings. Having never grown fresh ginger seeds before, I have no idea how long they will take to germinate, so I am full of anticipation for the first green shoot to appear.
The Musa basjoo clumps are looking rather forlorn with their shroud of dead leaves which I must also resist the urge to remove for at least another month. Although the power of the sun is getting stronger by the day, March can be very cold as winter clings tenaciously to the garden.
As for the cats – despite the higher temperatures, they still prefer to prop themselves up against the radiators in the house, or curl up in piles in my airing cupboard.
This reminds me - I must put some wire mesh over the front of my poly tunnel door as the cats love to curl up on the seed trays in the propagator – they have no interest in plants, just heat!


3 comments:

  1. My bananas look just like that. Thanks for the tip about leaving the foliage on: I was going to chop mine off this weekend, but now I think I can live with it a bit longer. I like to think they look a bit like the skeletal army that came up when Jason of Argonaut fame sowed the dragon's teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wrapped my Basjoos and I'm doubtful that they've survived so you're very luck to still have yours!!! Will have to give them more thorough wrapping next year!!!

    Am hoping to get outside myself this weekend and do some seed sowing and bulb planting, although given the comments you've made about clearing up I'll leave that a couple of weeks or so I think!!!

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of your garden, I'm excited to see more of it as the year progresses. I'm itching to get out there and start cleaning up, too. Now that it is officially March, and there are no freezing temperatures in the current forecast, I've been telling myself clean up time is here, but you're right, we're not quite out of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message about this post