Sunday 5 April 2009

At last - the long evenings have returned...

A good friend of mine living in Menlo Park California is now an avid follower of my blog and made the comment - how will you ever keep up your blog when spring arrives let alone summer? On those cold days in winter when you have hours to write, with those long dark evenings it seems easy. Now that spring has arrived, all my time has now been taken up with events, friends, the garden, one of my cats dying, visiting my father in his home, selling half his garden to keep him in the home... the list goes on! My determination was to write at least once and hopefully twice a week – I see I haven’t added a new blog since March 20th, hmmmm!


I must mention my cat. I was walking around the garden yesterday enjoying the hot rays of the sun and noticed Epen, one of my six cats, lying across the path, looking as though he was enjoying the sun as well. My first stroke told me otherwise. I couldn’t find a mark on him. My suspicions are that he might have eaten something poisonous as he was about 10 years old and up until the day before was in rude health. I buried him along with about eight other deceased cats at the top of the garden. A sad event indeed...




Last week I was inaugurated as the 180th president of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society, the second oldest horticultural society after the RHS. I now have a nice shiny chain of office to wear at all events for the next year. Today - Sunday 5th was my first official engagement of my one year stint. The spring show was in the Presidents pavilion at the Royal Norfolk showground, where I was handing out certificates for an awful lot of daffodils! Some of the old boys take the whole thing very seriously indeed as they explained to me how much work goes into raising new hybrids from seed and fighting against the vagaries of a British spring. Of course one chap said that a week later would have been perfect for the best show!




I did manage to get a few hours in the garden this morning on this wonderful spring day. I seem to be permanently clearing the garden of – stuff. A few days ago some of my tallest hedges were lowered by about 8ft to a more comfortable 15ft. This was all cleared up by a friend of mine whilst I did some essential watering in the Polly tuneless. I also managed to pull out of hibernation about 30 Brugmansias for their summer sojourn in the garden.





The Podophyllum delavayi I showed on my last blog are growing fast, so I have included another picture of these marvellous plants for your delectation. Although my garden is geared up for a grand show later in the year, many things are now showing early signs of life. The Tetrapanax papyrifera, (Rice paper plant) is very handsome as its new growth starts to unfurl. In high season the leavers will be up to one meter wide – a stunning plant indeed.



Of course a spectacular show is given at this time of year by Clematis armandii, with its seductive, highly scented flowers. This rampant sprawler is growing over a 30 foot long Victorian iron pergola, and is a gorgeous sight to behold, and walking through is so intoxicating.



In the garden nursery there are many gems starting to appear and one that is just breaking the ground is the variegated knotweed Fallopia japonica Tri-color, a handsome plant that never seems to grow more than a couple of feet tall with me and is certainly not invasive like some of its bigger relatives. In saying that though, I do grow some very large leaved forms surrounded by very thick flint walls, where they have been happily not invading the garden for about 20 years, to about 12ft tall.



Finally I am going to leave you with picture of a rather attractive Heuchera hybrid. Unfortunately the writing on the label has completely faded; hence I have gone over to using a pencil instead!

11 comments:

  1. Morning Mr 180th President (that in itself is quite impressive as Mr Obama is only number 44).
    We , the general public, would like to see a lot of photographs of you in your presidential regalia doing all manner of horticultural tasks. For example: muck spreading, dividing, tree surgery, hedge clipping, wall building etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - surely such an impressive position should be celebrated in the appropriate environment?
    When is the party?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, sorry to hear about your cat will - especially sad due to the fact that he was in good health all the time. We've never had a cat ourselves, but there was a neighbourhood one we used to give lots of fuss to, and she was knocked down by a car, so I can relate to how you feel. I remember, at the time I found out she had got knocked over, I was sowing some Musa Sikkimensis seeds!

    On a more cheerful note - your garden seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds! You've got some gorgeous plants coming along nicely - I have a baby T-Rex pup at the moment which is already growing fast, I'm hoping to get a border cleared over the holidays so I can get it planted out ASAP. That variegated Knotweed looks nice, too.

    Also, congratulation on becoming the 180th President of the society! Well deserved, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James and Debbie – I will get someone to take a candid picture of me wearing my shiny new official bling, but not in my bath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tropical-pete, Thanks for your kind words about my cat, he was buried under a Trachycarpus fortunii. Well... best not to waist good fertilizer!

    Yes, it’s a very enjoyable time of year here at the Exotic Garden – I just wish I had more time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disparate comments.

    Thanks for the latest picture of the Podophyllum delavayi.

    I have a clematis armandii and I'm very enthusiastic about it and am surprised more people don't grow it.

    I didn't know anyone apart from Mayors and criminals wear chains. Yes please, may we see you in it.

    Our local horticultural society once had someone speak on showing daffodils. I was totally taken aback. He might have been an introducing us to the excentricities of Crufts. Meticulous attention to the precise shape of petals etc.. (Not my style of gardening.)

    I'm interested, too, to know that you live in 'Norolk' and have a 'tuneless' polly in your garden.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a cat lover, and know how very sad you must feel. Very sorry.
    The Podophyllum is a stunner. It's intriguing to see an array from another garden. BTW, I've just found you on Blotanical. Dare I mention, I'm addicted to British mysteries, and when I'm unable to actually visit, I take in various series that transport me to atmospheric settings all over England - including Norfolk, & Scotland. Congrats on your presidency!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your cat .... yea, but things will go on... and congratulation for being inaugrated 180th president of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society .... cheers! ~ bangchik from Putrajaya Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have just discovered your wonderful blog! Congrats on your recent Presidency, but tell me you aren't going to bail out any American automobile companies..... your time is better spent in the garden. Your P. delavayi is stunning! I have one in the garden (new last summer) and hope for dramatic results. I love the variegated Persicaria, and have managed to keep mine under control. Seeing the names Daniel Hinkley and Bleddyn Wynn Jones.... I know in discovering your blog, I have stumbled upon a kindred spirit, I shall be returning often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I just found your blog on Blotanical I look forward to seeing it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will my brother,another wonderful Blog to read and view your abslutly wonderful plants.Love Your sister Coreen from Canada.Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message about this post